OPPORTUNITY: The WPGA Jr. Foundation is offering an opportunity to gain valuable insight into the administrative aspect of the golf business by hiring an individual from a diverse background to work on our team for a 1-year term.
- The PGA WORKS Fellowship is intentionally focused on engaging a diverse demographic of participants with consideration to: Gender, Age, Race/Color, National Origin/Ancestry, Sexual Orientation, Disability and Veteran Status- though anyone is welcome to apply.
- Ultimately, the Wisconsin PGA Section desires to establish a network of diverse talent who are prepared to ascend to key employment positions in the game and business of golf.
The WPGA Section Office is the regional center of PGA of America activity. There are 41 PGA Section offices located across the United States. PGA Section staff work hard every day to serve 28,000 PGA Members and grow the game. There is no better way to learn about all facets of the golf industry and golf administration than to spend time working in a PGA Section office.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The primary focus of this position will be to assist the WPGA Jr. Foundation’s staff in executing programs under its three pillars: Youth, Military and Diversity & Inclusion. A secondary focus of this position will be to assist the Section’s Director of Player Development at various junior golf tournaments and Drive, Chip & Putt qualifiers. There will also be opportunities to work WPGA Section Tournaments throughout the season. In 2020, Whistling Straits hosts the Ryder Cup and there will be opportunities to play a role in its preparation and administration.
Program examples include:
- PGA Jr. League (PGAJL) is a fun, social and inclusive opportunity for boys and girls ages 17 and under to learn and enjoy the game of golf. Much like other recreational league sports, participants wear numbered jerseys and play on teams with their friends. They learn the game among their peers with professional instruction and direction from PGA/LPGA Professionals who serve as team captains. Parents also play an active role, making the program a family activity and creating another generation of players to enjoy the game. In 2019, close to 1300 junior golfers participated across the WPGA.
- WPGA Jr. Foundation –founded in 1999, our mission is to promote the game of golf by providing positive opportunities, enjoyment, and education to Wisconsin junior golfers and their families. We accomplish this through our tournament series and player development programs whereby allowing us to provide scholarships and grants to deserving participants. In 2019, the WPGA Jr. Foundation conducted 100+ tournaments for players ages 7-21 with a membership of close to 1300 juniors.
- MILITARY – PGA HOPE (Helping Our Patriots Everywhere) is the flagship military program of PGA REACH and is designed to introduce golf to veterans with disabilities to enhance their physical, mental, social and emotional well-being. We currently have PGA HOPE programs in Madison, Milwaukee and the greater Green Bay area with the plan of adding more programs throughout the state.
- DIVERSITY & INCLUSION –PGA WORKS is a workforce diversification strategic initiative designed to evolve the demographic composition of the golf industry workforce and develop a robust pool of talent from diverse backgrounds who are prepared to ascend to key employment positions in the business of golf.
- Undergraduate/Graduate degree completed in May 2018 or later; or currently pursuing Graduate degree
- Valid Driver’s License Required along with reliable vehicle for transportation to and from events
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills are required
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Google Suite
- Skills in social media marketing and communications
- Well organized, punctual & energetic
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work weekends
- Ability to be flexible
POSITION/PHYSICAL CONDITIONS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms to use equipment; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. An example would include setting up an outdoor registration tent at a junior event.
- An employee in this position must be able to travel for extended periods of time in various modes of transportation.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions including both excessive hot or cold temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee must have his or her own reliable vehicle as a mode of transportation to and from various locations throughout the Section.
The following additional submissions must be submitted along with this application as one pdf document:
- Cover letter and Resume
- A copy of your most recent official college transcript showing completion of your degree
- Two letters of recommendation
- An essay (500 words or less) including:
- Your reason for pursuing a career in the game and/or business of golf?
- Your background and experiences and how you would help the PGA promote diversity and inclusion?
JOB DUTIES: PGA WORKS Fellowship duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the WPGA Jr. Foundation with all aspects of programming including communications, member recruitment, promotions, scheduling and event execution.
- Assisting the staff to ensure WPGA Jr. Foundation activities are documented and reported to national PGA REACH social media and public relations resources.
- Assist with PGA HOPE programming and operations including: communications with PGA Professionals and military services centers, tracking and reporting, veteran volunteer program, and marketing/PR.
- Assist with the recruitment of PGA Members for and promotion of PGA Jr. League. Assist in the administration and execution of the Section Championship Qualifiers and Final Four Section Championship.
- Assist with all WPGA Jr. Foundation fundraisers throughout the year.
- Assist with event preparation, management, promotion and execution of various WPGA Jr. Foundation tournaments in the spring, summer and fall
- Assist with event preparation and execution of various WPGA Section events such as the State Open
- Assist with event preparation, management, promotion, committee support, communications and sponsor/donor tracking for the 2020 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits in September
- Assist with the setup, execution, and management of all WPGA Drive Chip & Putt Qualifiers.
- Assist WPGA Jr Foundation with marketing, communications and PR including: website updates, social media, creative marketing, and email communications.
- Assist WPGA Jr. Foundation and PGA WORKS (national) in the awareness of the PGA WORKS Fellowship to help attract new candidates for WPGA Jr. Foundation Fellowship.
Medical insurance is available. The WPGA will provide an assigned laptop, staff uniforms, and will cover event/competition related travel expenditures (hotel, meals, etc.) while on assignment. Two-week paid vacation, holiday vacations and sick leave are also provided.