The WPGA Las Vegas Pro-Am wrapped up late last week after four days of golf, camaraderie and entertainment. A sold-out field of fifty teams made the trip out west for a little fun. Each squad consisted of one WPGA professional and four amateurs.
The event also marked the first time the Wisconsin PGA conducted a lottery for spots into the field. Over seventy-five Wisconsin PGA professionals expressed interest in attending this year’s event.
The 2023 version featured lodging at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino, with rounds at Cascata, Las Vegas CC, and the Wolf Course at Paiute Golf Resort. The attendee list was made up of golfers from thirteen different states, while the professional field featured forty-three PGA members and seven PGA associates.
With breezy and cool conditions throughout the three days it was anyone’s event to win. When the 54 holes were complete the victory went to the Ridgeway CC team of PGA General Manager Scott LeMire, and amateurs Jim VanVonderen, Lee Roth, Terry MacDonald and Clifton Kreuscher. The fivesome became the first back-to-back champions of the event since Paul Becker was able to win with his Hidden Glen GC team in 2006 and 2007. The winning team put up a 45-under-par 395 total over the course of the three rounds. Their consistency carried them to the win, with daily finishes of sixth, second and first. Their winning mark was good enough for a three shot win over the Ryan Helminen led Ridgeway CC group.
The list of the daily team winners across the two groups were;
- Group A – Monday – Cascata – 2 Net Best Ball – Ozaukee CC (Rasmussen)
- Group A – Tuesday – Las Vegas CC – 1,2,3 Net Best Ball – X Golf Brookfield (Miezin)
- Group A – Wednesday – Paiute Wolf – 1 Net/1 Gross Best Ball – Ridgeway CC (LeMire)
- Group B – Monday – Paiute Wolf – 1 Net/1 Gross Best Ball – Janesville CC (Sabol) & Blue Mound G&CC (Schuman)
- Group B – Tuesday – Cascata – 2 Net Best Ball – Hidden Glen GC (Burton)
- Group B – Wednesday – Las Vegas CC – 1,2,3 Net Best Ball – Blackhawk CC (Schnarr)
In addition, the event also featured daily low professional stableford events. Earning the win in those competitions were;
- Group A – Monday – Cascata – Michael Crowley
- Group A – Tuesday – Las Vegas CC – Noel Zimmerman
- Group A – Wednesday – Paiute Wolf – Michael Crowley, Scott LeMire & Noel Zimmerman
- Group B – Monday – Paiute Wolf – Derek Schnarr
- Group B – Tuesday – Cascata – Jim Schuman
- Group B – Wednesday – Las Vegas CC – Jamie Christianson
A big thank you goes out to our event partners, The Suter Ward Group at Morgan Stanley (Vince Suter), TaylorMade Golf (Steve Ploch & Hunter Mahler), and adidas Golf (Matt Flaten). The trio of supporters did a fantastic job of ensuring that the attendees took home some great swag, and had a nice purse to play for.